in the nuc adapted box on the top of the hive we had just one frame with capped honey on one side. Lots of capped brood.
Top warré was filling up nicely. 1-2 farmes of honey on ends. Lots of capped brood through the middle and 2-3 frames with eggs.
We debated weather we should push them to expand. In the end we moved two brood frames down, and moved up frames that had more space to lay.
No eggs. Some spotty capped brood.
Lots of drone brood and only a little uncapped brood and empty comb.
A couple queen cells and a couple queen cups with eggs. This one was inadvertently damaged when removing the frame:
This late in the season we felt it a bad idea to try and let them raise their own queen. Once we confirmed that we could get a new queen from a breeder we removed the developing queens.
There were plenty of wasps around. They didn't seem to be gaining access to the hive but were certainly trying. We took out at least 75 of them
Why did they supercede? Had we pushed them too much before they were ready? Was it a weak queen to begin with? Maybe a combination of both?
Still some wasps around.
I systematically went through the hive again and confirmed there was no queen. I did find another queen cup which I had missed the previous day that I removed. Before putting the queen cage between the bars I laid it on top of the box to see how the bees responded to her.
As the bees appeared to be feeding her, as well as sticking their butts in the air to expose the nasonov gland while fanning. They did not appear to be aggressively attacking the cage and would come and go from the cage rather than clinging to it. It appeared that they were grateful, and were taking a liking to her.
The new queen had been released and looked good, moving quickly around a frame in the nuc box. We saw some eggs on one frame in the nuc box and mostly nectar everywhere else.
The top warré box contained good amounts of nectar and had a few frames with eggs and young larvae.
The few combs in the bottom box contained pollen.
The entrance seemed to be lacking defence and the odd wasp was making it inside.
The drones were also being evicted:
The goldenrod flow has come to a definite end.
As they are really light on stores we fed approximately 1.5 litres of 2:1 sugar syrup.