Lots of bees, deformed wings and comb building

June 29th

I didn't pull any frames out. Just checked that the combs were coming along and straight.

foundationless comb on the other side of the moon hivePhoto by: Shawn Caza / CC: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Six frames had some degree of comb started.

starting foundationless comb in the moon hivePhoto by: Shawn Caza / CC: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

The population had increased a fair bit, and things were starting to get jammed at the entrance.  I moved the entrance reducer a little bit out of the way.

opening up the entrance on the moon hivePhoto by: Shawn Caza / CC: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

I also cleared away some of the tall vegitation as it wasn't helping entry.

July 2nd

Still a traffic jam, so I opened up the entrance a bit more.

The nuc had some drone cells when we got it. We elected not to cut them out of this hive. I could see a fair number of them at the entrance. There was also one drone, most likely suffering from deformed wing virus, climbing the grass and flapping its wings trying desperately to fly.

Drone bee with deformed wingsPhoto by: Shawn Caza / CC: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Not too much pollen at the entrance.  Still the bright orange, but also a bright yellow now. I did see a bee close by on clover. Still lots of bees on the mint, and one on what I suspect could be elderberry. I'm guessing the bright yellow pollen is from the lindens. There's a good amount around the hives. I keep looking up at them, but still haven't managed to witness any foraging there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *